Proper Posture Prevents Poor Performance
The chiropractors at Vitality Chiropractic and Medical Wellness in Rockville, MD teach our patients that proper posture is essential for optimal performance and vitality. We all can recognize poor posture when we see it; if you look around, you will likely notice more than a few examples. Unfortunately, only a few people have an understanding of the importance and necessity of good posture and, perhaps more importantly, how to correct poor posture.
Why is proper posture important?
Proper posture enables us to stand, walk, sit, and lie in positions by utilizing supporting muscles, tendons, and ligaments during all movement and weight-bearing activities.
Proper Posture is essential for:
- Keeping bones and joints in correct alignment so that our muscles are used correctly
- Decreasing the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces that could result in degenerative arthritis and joint pain
- Reducing the stress on the ligaments holding the spinal joints together thereby minimizing the likelihood of injury
- Allowing muscles to work more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy and, therefore, prevent muscle fatigue
- Helping prevent muscle strain and overuse disorders, including back and muscular pain
Many factors can contribute to poor posture:
- Weak postural muscles
- Abnormally tight muscles
- High-heeled shoes
Additionally, poor flexibility, stressful work environments leading to incorrect working postures, and excessive sitting or standing without changing positions can all contribute to poor body positioning.
So what can be done to correct and then maintain proper posture?
Dr. Glenn Molin leads a team of chiropractors, an acupuncturist, a nutritionist, chiropractic assistants, and the supportive staff at Vitality Chiropractic and Medical Wellness in developing health programs aimed at correcting and maintaining proper body posture.
The goal is to develop a plan to help you bring your posture to an optimal state and teach you how to keep it there.